Monday, March 2, 2015

". . . If ye have faith, ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true."


Alma 32:21

Week #91


This week we spoke with many people and almost had a baptism. Unfortunately, nobody came to church and our potential baptism is on the verge of giving up. I would like to say we have lots of people to teach, but German descent is something to be proud of here.


I have heard many people deny the opportunity to follow the Gospel in many different ways, but only a few say "I understand what you're saying. I just haven't let God into my heart yet. I know I have all the responsibility for my salvation or condemnation, but I'm going to stay how I am." We heard those exact words this week. Another that's a little more common is, "We're (insert religion) and maybe we're wrong, but I was born (religion), I was baptized (religion), married (religion) and will die (religion). We might be wrong, but we won't change."

Pride is something so simple and common, but can impede so much.

A woman proudly told us this week that she didn't have enough faith to follow the true Church of Christ. She then proceeded to tell us that the Apostles that left their nets did so because they didn't believe (in something already) and didn't have a structured faith. They followed because they just wanted somebody to follow.

Many times I have felt the strong desire to say "Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures." Sufficeth to say that I was more than a little frustrated this week, but we still did a great deal of work and had a wonderful meeting with the Branch Council. We are planning many things that should help a great deal here. If searching out the people doesn't work, we will have to discover what will bring them to us. 

It really is a war and we need to plan and develop strategies. I never thought about a mission like this before I came to Ivoti.

Yesterday was also my birthday. I got a package of bombom, and GuaranĂ¡ Antartica, and Doritos and I got another cuia! The Sisters in my district even sang over the phone last night. If other people hadn't remembered, I might have forgotten. Thank you all.

Mission Conference this week. They're always great.

Until next week.

Elder Dickson


No comments:

Post a Comment