Monday, February 23, 2015

Ivoti

Week #90

In response to Mom's email:


I'm in a branch. There are some strong members and some that are inactive.

Everybody speaks Portuguese here. There is a lot of German ancestry. That doesn't mean they are German (this is in response to Mom's question if he would be able to use some of his German there.) Many do speak German as well, but everybody reads and speaks and writes Portuguese. If I were to enter a little further from the coast, I would probably hear German in the streets. Here is too close to the big cities.

I really don't think of anything to say this week and I've already used almost all the time I have. (His English is now sounding like his second language.)

This week was difficult. It rained a lot and the nobody's in the city even when the weather is good. When it rains, people are non existent. We walked a lot and had few experiences. The whole city takes about an hour to cross. It's very small. This would be one of those chapters of the Book of Mormon when they cover five years in one verse.

We have already realized that going to the people here doesn't work very well. We need something that can bring the people to us. Family History might help. (Mom had mentioned an interest in family history as a possible teaching opportunity if the area is strongly traditionally German).

Almost everything here reminds me of Vermont. It is very green. Osório was also very green. Vera Cruz as well. If there isn't a city, there is green.



1 comment:

  1. Sorry the work is hard right now. My son is in Japan where they can go their whole mission without a single baptism. It's so hard, but important that they remember perspective and that they just stay close to the Spirit to be guided where Heavenly Father wants them, and even if they don't have new investigators or baptisms, it doesn't mean that they are doing something wrong. Of course, it's easy for me to say since I'm not out there working day after day with little to show for it. I hope he can be blessed with peace and endurance. I think Family History is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete