Monday, September 1, 2014

Venâncio Aires

Week #65

Venâncio Aires is the national capital of chimarrão, a bitter plant that you grind up and drink with hot water. It's basically the foundation of society in Rio Grande do Sul. The first time I drank it the words that came to my mind were "goat food water." It's an acquired taste, but I like it.

My new companion is Elder Barrus. He's from Virginia (three American companions in a row) and has one of the strongest American accents I have ever heard. He still doesn't understand everything that we say, but he's learning.

Venâncio Aires is a little city that's far away from almost everything. There is one branch here that we share with Elder Dias (from Cape Verde) and Elder de Araujo (Rio de Janeiro). No, I haven't taken any pictures here yet, but I will say the accent from Rio is very different. He talksh like thish. It'sh a little different.

There aren't a lot of stories to tell yet. This week was a lot of inviting people to be baptized and hearing excuses for why people don't want to do anything. One man even decided that he didn't want to be baptized because he didn't want to do Home Teaching or anything else. The moment that we talk about a commitment he doesn't want to do anything. It's normal, but he was the worst case I've seen. We dropped him.

I usually don't like to quote Bruce R. McConkie, but I read one of his statements (in Portuguese, so I'll translate) that people who are not willing to keep all the commandments and be completely devoted to the Gospel for the rest of their lives should not make that promise by being baptized. That's why commitments are so important. Preach My Gospel has a chapter all about helping people accept and keep commitments and says clearly that when we invite people to do or not to do something we are calling them to repentance. If people keep their commitments (or repent) they can be baptized and make greater commitments. If they keep those commitments, they can make even greater commitments in the temple. If we keep those commitments, we receive Celestial Glory which is an enormous responsibility and commitment in itself. 

I'm hungry. Until next week.

Elder Dickson


Last night in Montenegro
Elder Angus's last transfer
Marlene in Montenegro
Elder Dickson and Sister Pithan 
Elder Dickson and Sister Grahl Baptista 


No comments:

Post a Comment