Monday, October 28, 2013

Testimonies and Transitions

Week #21

What a week. The weather is cooling, six of us have decided to start an exercise program run by one of the members in the mornings, recent converts are having severe difficulties with the Church, and I got to play a musical number in another ward yesterday.

Last Wednesday, the Elders in the neighboring Coal Creek Ward told us about an early morning exercise class that Brother Melver taught. It's called Boot Camp and requires us to get up around 5:30 so we can get there on time. It's sort of a mixed cardio/resistance program and the routine changes every day. It's a great way to wake up, but it makes you very sore all day. Basically, it's a pain to get up in the morning, but it starts the day very well. Bonus, I am losing weight. 

A few nights ago, we got a call from a recent convert who expressed several issues she had with teachings of the Church. Her biggest challenge was tithing and told us quite fervently that "Money is evil and God doesn't need it." She then told us that she doesn't believe anybody knows what happens after death and emphasized that every church teaches a different thing. The worst part was that she would believe the words of a previous missionary because she believed he was the thing that was special about her conversion. The only thing Elder Hanks and I could think of was to, as it says in Alma 4:19 (I think of this scripture often), bear down in pure testimony. That's what we did and we have recognized three miracles of that experience. The first is that she changed from severe doubt to praying to her Father in Heaven and asking Him for knowledge. We have yet to hear what experiences she had. The second and third were in Elder Hanks and myself. 

Elder Hanks usually has a way of talking as if he's afraid to say anything and usually just says very simple but repetitive truths from the lessons. That night, there wasn't a single easy or previously know line from him. He was bold, he didn't sound afraid to speak and he testified with something more than the usual conviction.

My experience was very similar. While looking back on the things I said, I realized that many of those things I did not know the purpose of. The conversation had been long and there is no way I could have remembered every concern expressed and addressed them in one response, but everything I bore testimony of dealt with every issue she had. I do not know what she will decide to do (she didn't come to church yesterday), but we were given in the very moment what we should say and have invited her to come to Christ. We have fulfilled our purpose. Now she needs the help of the members and the Lord to fulfill hers. 

In unrelated news, I just got (as in four minutes ago) an email notifying me that my visa has arrived! Still reading to figure out when I leave.

Anyway, last story. (I leave on November 11) Saturday night I received a call asking me if I could play a musical number in the Flatirons Ward sacrament meeting the next morning. The whole zone was  supposed to sing I Need Thee Every Hour, but none of the missionaries were able to be at that meeting. The Elders there told the coordinator, but she asked if Elder Dickson could play piano. They decided to wait a week before asking me if I could play, so I got to arrange a version of I Need Thee Every Hour at 9:00 the night before and didn't even have a piano so I could know if what I was planning to do would work. Long story short, I played a solo with one night to prepare and it was awesome!

Anyway, I'm excited about my visa and need to email more people.

Tchau!



No comments:

Post a Comment